Do you want to learn how to use the Discord stream switch? If that’s the case, you’ve come to the right place because we’ll walk you through the steps.
Streaming video games can make gaming more realistic by displaying human-sized gaming characters on large screens. You can also communicate with other players about your gaming experience through your live video game feed.
Table of Contents
What is a Discord?
Discord is a social VoIP and instant messaging platform. Users can communicate with voice calls, video calls, text messaging, media, and files in private chats or as members of communities known as “servers.”
What is required for Discord’s Streaming Switch?
Unlike other platforms, Nintendo’s Switch does not provide an extensive range of streaming alternatives. However, streaming the changeover on Discord does not need much work.
Here are some things you should have before launching a Discord channel.
- Nintendo Switch: As your initial piece of equipment, you need a Nintendo Switch. However, streaming is not allowed due to console limits if you own a Switch lite.
- Capture Card: You can use a capture card to broadcast video and audio to Discord by recording it from the switch and transmitting it to your computer. There are plenty of fantastic capture cards on the market. The Elgato Game Capture HD60 X, the Razer Ripsaw, and the AVerMedia GC311 Live Gamer Mini are among the best. Depending on your requirements and preferences, you can also select different brands.
- Software: A video capture programme, such as Streamlabs or OBS Studio, is software. You can even do this using the VLC media player. This essay will only cover OBS Studio and VLC because they are the most popular and user-friendly. Companies that make capture cards also create their software. That may also help you achieve your objectives.
- You’ll need a computer or laptop and a Discord account to watch the transition.
- Adapters and HDMI cables are available.
How to Stream Switch on Discord?
After gathering all the peripherals and installing video capture software, you can set them up. To make things easier, we’ve divided the setup process into stages. To get the stream going, carefully follow these steps.
Setup Hardware and Cables
- Insert the Nintendo Switch into the dock and double-check that it is properly positioned and connected. Also, unplug any other devices, like a TV, plugged into the port.
- Using an HDMI cable, connect the dock to the capture card.
- Finally, connect the capture card’s USB cable to the computer.
Utilize the Capture Software.
As previously stated, this article will only cover the use of OBS studio and the VLC media player. OBS Studio is a feature-rich streaming software among the most popular in its class. On the other hand, VLC Media Players can handle basic streaming without requiring many features.
Follow these steps to capture the audio-video contents of the Nintendo Switch using the OBS studio. Also, do this after the Capture device has been used to connect the switch to the computer.
- Launch OBS Studio and click the + sign in the Scenes box in the lower-left corner of the software window.
- You will be asked to name the scene. Please give it a suitable name and press the OK button.
- Click the + sign in the sources box once more, and then select the video capture device.
- Click OK in the Create/Select Source dialogue box.
- Your webcam preview will appear in a new window.
- Select your capture card in the Device section. In the preview, this will show your Nintendo Switch screen.
- Scroll down to the Audio output mode section and select Output Desktop Audio (DirectSound). Check the Use Custom Audio Device box as well.
- You are now entirely prepared to share your Switch screen on any streaming platform, in this case, Discord.
- Now let’s look at how you can do this with the VLC media player.
- First and foremost, copy this path and save it to a notepad. This will assist you in making a shortcut for the capture card. We’ll go over how to use it in more detail later.
VideoLANVLCvlc.exe ” C:Program FilesVideoLANVLCvlc.exe” dshow:/:dshow-adev=”Game Capture HD60 S (Audio) (#01)”:dshow-aspect-ratio=”16:9″:dshow-audio-samplerate=48000:dshow-audio-channels=2:live-caching=0:dshow-fps=60
Replace the names of the video and audio devices in the command with the device you’re using. We used Game Capture HD60 S for streaming, but you could have used another capture device. You can also copy the device name from the VLC media player. It was mentioned in step 6.
- Launch the VLC Media Player.
- Select the Media tab, then Open Capture Device.
- VLC Media Player’s home page
- Ensure the capture mode is set to Direct Show in the open media windows.
- Set the Video Capture device as the Video Device Name (for example, we have Game Capture HD60 S). Repeat for the audio device name.
- Check the “Show more options” box. Choose a name for your video device and an audio device. Could you take it?
- Copy and paste the notepad’s audio and video device names into the command you saved earlier (in place of Game Capture HD60 S).
- Close the VLC player window. Then, on your desktop, right-click on the VLC media player shortcut and select Properties.
- Paste the command into the target field and click OK to save the changes.
This will create a shortcut allowing you to stream the switch with a single click. If you do not want the shortcut, disregard the command and proceed with steps 2 through 5, ending with a click on the play button.
Share the stream on Discord.
If you’ve already installed the necessary hardware and software, it’s time to stream the switch on Discord.
The steps are as follows:
- Launch the Discord app and connect to one of the servers.
- To join the voice channel, click the speaker icon.
- Select the “Screen” option.
- A new window will be launched. Select the Applications tab. It will display a list of screens that you can share.
- Choose your capture software screen (OBS, Streamlabs, VLC, etc.).
- Adjust the stream quality setting to suit your needs.
- Finally, press the Go Live button, and you’ve successfully streamed the switch on Discord.
Why Should You Use Discord to Stream Your Nintendo Switch?
Discord is a streaming platform that allows gamers to communicate efficiently. Gamers can use the Discord platform to create their custom online servers for broadcasting and communicating with other gamers. You can personalize your Discord account by creating unique voice, video, and text channels. Discord is a popular streaming platform that allows for customization.
Frequently Asked Questions (QnA)
How do I connect my Switch to Discord?
- Connect the Nintendo Switch to the Capture Device.
- Select and install the software you intend to use.
- Plug in the Nintendo Switch and power it on.
- Complete VLC Media Player Setup and Configure Capture Mode.
- Check to see if the live stream is working.
- Join a Discord Server.
How do I stream switches in the absence of a capture card?
Method 1: Download and install the Stream Labs Streaming App. Using stream labs is one of the best and most popular ways to stream without a capture card. It can be used on websites like YouTube, Facebook, Discord, and Twitch. It is also among the most widely used streaming apps.
How much does a capture card cost?
The card costs around $250, and you’ll need a free spot on your computer because it’s a PCIe card. Unlike cards in the same price range, such as the Elgato 4K60 Pro, the Live Gamer Duo does not support 4K recording or streaming.